Thursday, September 27, 2012

Royal Icing Western Wheatgrass

Western wheatgrass at one time covered almost the entire state of North Dakota, where it was designated the official state grass in 1977. In most photos I found, it is yellow to yellowish-green (not quite the vivid green I went with). All you'll need to pipe this hardy prairie grass is medium consistency royal icing, oval tip #55, round tip #5, a glue stick, parchment paper squares, a flower nail, and a Styrofoam block to rest the nail in. Start by sticking a parchment square to the nail with a dab from the glue stick. 
 Pipe the stem with the #5 tip. I piped it as though it were a drop string; holding the tip above the surface and allowing the icing to smoothly pour out as I moved the tip along in a gentle arc. At the end, I stopped pressure, touched the tip to the surface, and pulled the tip away.
 Switch to the #55 tip, and pipe a "V" at the curved end. One side should overlap the other.
 Repeat all the way down the stem…
 …taking care to keep the sides in "V" formation; I had a tendency to allow them to get too flat.
 At the bottom, though, I made sure those final two shots of icing were nice and "V"-shaped to finish the grass head off. I also filled in a little gap that looked weak with a shot of icing; it could have broken after the parchment is pulled away when the icing is dry. These could be piped in yellow to represent wheat as part of a harvest-themed dessert, or any cake or cupcake to do with farms, prairies, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment